Soup Kitchen Report
Psyc 345. Psychology of Adulthood and Aging. Dr. vom Saal
This should be a two-page typed report with the standard heading. It should be submitted by the due date announced in class. It will be reviewed briefly and returned to you for submission as part of your final course portfolio as described in the course syllabus. It should have the following sections.
- the standard heading as described in the course syllabus.
(NOTE: use a heading or subheading in your paper for each of the following sections)
- What happened: describe where you went, what you did, etc. Include what happened when you initiated a conversation with someone.
- What I learned:
- about the facility where you volunteered.
- about people: the people you went with, worked with, ate with, talked with.
- about aging (if anything). (It would be desirable if you could talk with an elderly person during this experience, but this is not a requirement and I understand that it may not work out for some students. That is ok. If you did talk with an elderly individual, or learn anything else about aging, describe it here and if possible tie it in with concepts from the text or lecture.)
- about myself. (did you have any insights about yourself? Did you learn anything about your likes and dislikes? Did you learn anything about your strengths and weaknesses?)
NOTE: For ideas about possible topics to talk about with an elderly person (or with anyone), see the various handouts on interviews.